Monday, August 23, 2010

I Live For You

I pulled my car into the parking space in front of our apartment and realized something about myself.  You are what I live for...not anything else. 

I've never been very goal oriented.  I was listed as undecided for a semester of college and my parents were pleasantly surprised when I graduated...especially on time.  I've never had much of a clue of what I wanted to do with my life.  I never had objectives regarding any of the relationships that I've had. 

I've meandered from relationship to relationship looking for the one in particular that would complete me.  I still haven't found it, but I've never been happier with you by my side.

Do you remember when we first met? It was a hot summer day. The North Carolina sun was beating down on us with a vengeance. You were hot and tired. You collapsed at my feet and I knew we'd be together for the rest of your life. Even then, you were dramatic and acting as though you'd be handed an Oscar at any moment...some things never change.


I think about everything that we've done together and can't help but smile.  The parties and barbecues where we've made appearances, the classes we've taught, and even the birthdays we celebrated...it's all been memorable because of you. 

I don't know what the future holds for us.  I know that I've made a lot of mistakes in our lives, but I also know that you'll never want for anything, I'll always be there for you, and you'll always be my baby. 

We've allowed others to join our family, but it'll always just be you and me.  I live for you, Grace.
 

1 comment: